Pages

Saturday, August 21, 2010

A visit to The Cellar


The Cellar Restaurant in Blacksburg has a lot of historical significance for me even though I had never eaten there before August 2010.  According to something on the wall it was started in 1963.
But I think of its origin being a lot earlier.  The entrance I remember is still a part of the current restaurant
but is one door to the left and was the doorway to The Blue Ribbon Restaurant which everyone knew as the Greeks.  It was operated by the family of my good school friend, Chris Kappas. Chris has been the operator of the Cellar  for many rears and , at one time, had another restaurant on College Avenue.
We found our first visit delightful and the food quality great with portions too big for our appetites.  But the dessert was special.  Chris was in and he came to our table for a visit.

This blog is more about Chris than his restaurant.  Chris and his family have always made me feel I would like Greece.  Chris is so positive and cheerful.  We grew up together but or early childhoods were very different.  I grew up in Blacksburg.  My dad went over seas to fight in the war (which fortunately ended before he saw combat).  Some of the war had been in Chris' homeland.  Chris explained to me one time, "do you remember seeing the newsreels in the theater with hundreds of children in the streets? I was one of those kids!"  So he and his family found refuge in Blacksburg.  I can't remember but Chris told me he had to learn English and so many new customs while I was starting school in my own culture.  He said I was always friendly to him.  I can't remember anything except that he was a nice friend. 

Chris married Maria  a few years his junior also from Greece.  We became instantly fond of Maria at our first meeting.  She seems so warm and gracious and Chris affirms that that is her true personality at about every time we visit. 
The Cellar is now a special restaurant to me but Chris has always been a special person and friend.  Downtown Blacksburg would not be the same if the Kappas family had not found their way to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment