Pages

Saturday, May 8, 2010

Clinton Smith's hidden talent.

Clinton Smith's talent is hidden only from the standpoint that you've got to know where you are going to find him. Do you know how to get to Sunny Side in Montgomery County, VA? If you do that is a good starting point.  Or do you know about Glade,  Longshop,  Nutter's Store? If you don't know about those reference points you'd better start with Prices Fork or Blacksburg, VA.

From wherever you start, to find Clinton and Ann you must drive up the side of Brush Mountain, through well managed timber that looks like a National Forest into the Smith clearing. From that point Clinton's talent is no longer hidden. The Smith house was built by Clinton out of logs he cut and sawed, rocks he gathered and "masoned" into walls. The house is a striking display of this man's many talents. I came to see the musical instruments he has made; I found so much more!

I intend to write more at another time, but for now I want to record  some things I remember. Clinton is 77 years old. He started making  instruments about 11 years ago after his declining health forced him  to look for a job he could do while setting down. He has made 8 banjos, 20 mandolins, and 111 fiddles( including a few "guitfiddles").

I want to write about Clinton's work but I also want to write about the man. I was awed by the man of many experiences and talents that has seen so much of life and has the excitement of a young man starting out on a new adventure. I think every day has been an adventure for Clinton.

He was the second born of ten children to Grayton and Ruby Hamilton Smith.  He had three brothers and six sisters. He worked at many jobs to make a living. He built houses, tried being a brick mason, operated a saw mill, made wood burning stoves and more.

I'm anxious  to write more about Clinton and his work in the future.  Clinton Smith is burned in my memory as one of the most unforgettable personalities I've ever met. I want to do justice as I introduce him to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment